According to the World Health Organization, antibiotic resistance is one of the biggest threats to global health, especially with the prevalence of antibiotic misuse with Macrobid and alcohol. As people misuse Macrobid while drinking alcohol when treating UTIs, they are at greater risk to commit drug abuse or suffer grave consequences as a result of improper prescription use.
Transcend Recovery Community is here to share more information about this and how to avoid any problems, especially with alcohol and Macrobid use. Continue reading to find out more.
Is It Safe to Take Macrobid with Alcohol?
Any medical professional would discourage the use of alcohol with Macrobid, especially when an individual is experiencing a severe form of urinary tract infection. Apart from
Here is what you should do when taking nitrofurantoin for bacterial infection/urinary tract infections:
- Stay hydrated by drinking water and avoid alcohol drinking, if possible.
- Increase your vitamin C consumption to boost your immune system
- Always finish the full course of your prescription
- Take plenty of proper rest (and quality rest) to boost the healing process of your body.
Taking these necessary steps is important. As in any medical condition or prescription course, alcohol is never a good idea as it may interfere and put your body at greater risk.
What is Macrobid (Nitrofurantoin)?
Macrobid aka nitrofurantoin (generic name) is an antibiotic used to treat UTIs. It is often available in capsule or tablet form and as an oral suspension. The drug helps kill certain bacterias that cause an infection. However, Macrobid is not effective against viral infection.
Its usual side effects are as follows:
- loss of appetite
- numbness in extremities (hands and feet)
In rare cases or chronic abuse, it may cause adverse side effects such as:
- lung inflammation
- nerve damage
- gastrointestinal damage
- liver damage
The drug is available in 25 mg, 50 mg, and 100 mg dosages.
What Are the Risks of Drinking on Macrobid?
Drinking alcohol while taking Macrobid may adversely affect not just your immune system, but your body's ability to heal and receive additional support from antibiotics. Here are the following risks that you may face as you drink alcohol while taking Macrobid:
- Dehydration - our bodies need sufficient quantities of water in flushing out toxins, carrying out nutrients and oxygen to our cells, regulating body temperature, and protecting our organs. When you drink alcohol, it serves as diuretic flushing out the water needed by your body.
- Induced side effects - As you become intoxicated by alcohol, you may feel some of the side effects of the medication be magnified compared to before.
- Medication overdose - Alcohol use may hamper one's thinking causing them to commit medication overdose. As with any substance abuse, most overdoses happen when someone is completely inebriated.
When someone has encountered adverse effects caused by excessive antibiotics and alcohol addiction, they must seek medical attention right away to prevent any injuries or fatalities.
Common Side Effects of Macrobid and alcohol
As with any combination of drugs and alcohol, such as that of Trazodone & alcohol, nitrofurantoin and alcohol can bring adverse side effects to anyone using it. Here are the following common side effects:
- long-term liver damage or liver problems
- decreased appetite/feeling sick
- upset stomach
- disrupted sleep patterns
- brown urine
It's still best to consult medical professionals regarding the medication information of Macrobid and how it may impact your body. By reviewing individual medical history, they may be able to give you the proper advice regarding nitrofurantoin and alcohol use.
Should I Drink Alcohol With a UTI?
Medical professionals would advise avoiding drinking alcohol while they are receiving treatment for a urinary tract infection. Here are some of the reasons to avoid alcohol consumption:
- Consuming alcohol induces your urine's acidity levels which can flare up urinary tract infection symptoms.
- Regardless of how much alcohol you take, alcohol in itself may irritate your bladder putting you at greater risk of kidney infections or a worse bladder infection.
- When you consume alcohol while taking Macrobid, you are lessening its efficacy which will prolong your treatment of your urinary tract infections.
- Apart from drinking alcohol, consuming citrus fruits, spicy food, and other inflammatory foods may also irritate your bladder too. This can also lead to certain bacterial infections and bladder infections.
Instead of drinking alcohol, it is advised to drink plenty of water as it helps flush out the bacteria. Always remember that when you drink alcohol, you lessen your immune response which can lead to the non-improvement of bacterial infection and your urinary system as a whole.
What Is A UTI?
A urinary tract infection (UTI) is one of the most common infections in which bacteria enter through the urethra and later infect the urinary tract.
You can increase your risk of developing a UTI through the following scenarios:
- sexual activity
- old age
- internal problems (enlarged prostate, changes in vaginal flora)
- poor hygiene
Symptoms may include:
- pain in your backside or lower back
- nausea accompanied by vomiting
Is There Macrobid Abuse?
Macrobid abuse can happen to anyone. It's an illness that affects an individual's brain and behavioral function, due to their failure of controlling their urge to use drugs incessantly.
It doesn't necessarily need to be recreational drug addiction. Abuse also occurs when someone resorts to taking antibiotics without any actual need. However, this may vary from person to person. People with mental health issues are more susceptible to developing drug or Macrobid abuse.
Drug misuse can also be considered drug abuse. People who are taking antibiotics without any proper prescription or consent from their physician may face serious consequences on their health and an increased risk of developing long-term problems like renal impairment or liver problems.
Drug abuse or addiction is a serious condition that may lead to adverse effects, not just to your body but to your overall mental wellbeing. Receiving inpatient or outpatient drug rehab is just one way of fighting your way out of addiction and drug abuse.
A sober coach also helps individuals to get better and remain consistent and committed to their long-term sobriety, without relying on medication. They help to recover individuals be more goal-oriented and live their life with a sense of purpose.
Can Transcend Recovery Help with Macrobid and Alcohol Abuse?
Alcohol addiction is never easy to escape from. But with the help of proper support and guidance, anything is possible. Transcend Recovery Community provides mental health assistance through its various programs geared toward uplifting the lives of individuals under recovery.
One of its main offerings includes sober living, an effective means of helping individuals achieve long-term recovery and sobriety. Through the help of its trained staff members and empowered residents, it can provide a community for people struggling to recover where they are seen, heard, and cared for.
Gender-specific residences allow for people to have a safe space for their recovery, such as men's sober living. Our holistic approach to providing mental health support helps people realize their goals and lead purpose-driven lives.
Contact us today to find out more about what we can offer you as we walk together on a path of recovery.