Before asking the question, "What are black and milds?" and second-guessing what this tobacco product can do to your body, let's look at some sobering facts. There are about 16 million Americans who are suffering from diseases brought on by smoking.
That enough can cause alarm even for mild smokers. So before you take a puff of pipe tobacco, read what we have to show you. Transcend Recovery Community is here to keep you informed about the dangers of cigar smoking and what a potential nicotine addiction can do to your body. As the country's premiere recovery assistance experts, listen to what we have to say.
What Are Black and Milds?
The tobacco Black and Milds are a type of cigar that has been around since the 1960s. The name comes from the fact that they are traditionally made with black tobacco and brown paper. They are available in various flavors such as cherry, chocolate, peach, vanilla, and orange. They also come in several different sizes including mini (about 4 inches long) and king size (about 6 inches long).
About Black and Milds and Other Nicotine Addiction
Nicotine is a highly addictive substance. It has been shown to have the same impact on the brain as heroin, cocaine, and alcohol. The effects of nicotine are similar to those of other addictive substances in that it causes a release of dopamine, which is responsible for producing feelings of pleasure. This can result in positive reinforcement of the behavior that leads to the release of dopamine.
This type of addiction can occur as you inhale or ingest, or as a result of secondhand smoke exposure. The addiction process occurs over an extended period and may take several weeks or months before an individual becomes addicted. Once an addiction has developed, quitting smoking can be difficult due to withdrawal symptoms that occur when nicotine levels drop below normal levels in the body.
Tobacco addiction is a complex condition that affects the brain, body, and behavior. Tobacco dependence is caused by nicotine, which is a drug found in tobacco products like cigarettes, pipes, cigars, chewing tobacco, and snuff. When you smoke a cigarette or use another tobacco product containing nicotine, it reaches your brain within seconds. Nicotine stimulates your brain's reward system by increasing levels of dopamine (a chemical messenger) in the limbic system and prefrontal cortex. Dopamine affects emotions and feelings of pleasure. This causes you to want to repeat the experience over and over again.
Nicotine Addiction vs. Tobacco Addiction
The distinction between nicotine addiction and tobacco addiction is important because they are different things with different causes and effects. The former occurs when you use nicotine products regularly (for example: smoking cigarettes). Meanwhile, the latter happens when you use any type of tobacco product to get high or relieve stress (for example: chewing tobacco).
Causes and Effects of Black and Mild Cigars
Repeated tobacco use has many bad side effects, similar to people suffering from process addiction. This may vary depending on the type of fermented tobacco product and the individual's level of exposure. The most common negative effects of tobacco products include:
- Smoking-related lung disease - Smoking has been linked to several types of lung cancer, as well as emphysema and chronic bronchitis due to the harmful chemicals, especially in fermented tobacco like Black and Milds. Pipe tobacco may contain high levels of carcinogenic nitrosamines.
- Digestive problems - Smokers are more likely to suffer from dangerous ulcers, diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and other stomach-related issues.
- Nausea/vomiting - Many people who smoke experience nausea and vomiting due to smoking-related cancer treatments or secondhand smoke exposure.
- Secondhand smoke exposure - Inhaling secondhand cigar smoke can cause dangerous respiratory problems in children who live with smokers or in frequent areas where people smoke (like bars).
- Skin damage/wrinkling - Studies show smoking can cause skin premature aging by speeding up the dangerous breakdown of collagen fibers in connective tissue.
- Cardiovascular problems - nicotine may induce the narrowing of blood vessels leading to increased blood pressure.
- Mouth/oral problems - Even with mild smokers of cigars, you are putting your oral health at risk of certain health conditions such as gum disease, tooth decay, and even the risk of oral cancer.
Nicotine Withdrawal Symptoms
Nicotine withdrawal is a complex process and can cause a wide range of symptoms due to harmful cravings. The most common symptoms include:
Nicotine withdrawal symptoms appear the moment you choose to not smoke Black and Mild cigars or cigarettes. However, withdrawal symptoms may worsen for up to 14 days. People who experience pain and extreme discomfort from withdrawal from Black and Mild cigars or cigarettes may need medications to manage their symptoms.
Relapse prevention is one way to help people with harmful cravings from Black and Mild cigars. People who live in a halfway house often participate in a program that helps them get healthier and better from their unhealthy cravings and past addictive habits.
Can Transcend Recovery Community Help with Black and Mild and Nicotine Recovery
Yes, Transcend Recovery Community has taken it as its mission to provide quality recovery assistance services for people who are currently in rehabilitation from their mental health problems (with or without medications).
Through our various sober living offerings, we help people change for the better and lead more productive and meaningful lives. Additionally, we offer women's and men's sober living arrangements for people who find safety in gender-specific spaces.
Contact us today on our site and let our Recovery Specialist tell you more about how we can help you.